Deck Planning Basics
Knowing the building blocks of decking and railing helps you understand all the beautiful options possible with Trex® – from colors to profiles to finishes.
Components – Get To Know Deck Building Blocks
- A Top rail: Horizontal rail attached to the top of the balusters and the posts.
- B Post cap: Cap topping each post is the decorative finish that also stands the weather.
- C Baluster: Vertical rungs – sometimes called spindles – that fill the space between two posts.
- D Post sleeve: Hollow sleeve that fits over a solid, pressure-treated post or post mount.
- E Bottom rail: Horizontal rail attached to the bottom of the balusters and the posts.
- F Post skirt: A finishing piece at the base of the post that covers any cuts where the decking and railing meet. Usually coordinates with the cap.
- G Decking: The decking boards that serve as the walking surface.
- H Joist: Dimensional structure, set on edge, which supports decking.
- I Beam: Supported by posts, the beam is the main horizontal support for the deck.
- L Elevated post: Vertical supports that rest on footings and support the beam.
- M Footing: The below-ground support of a deck’s post, usually made from concrete.
- N Tread: The walking surface of each step in a stairway.
- O Riser: A board attached to the vertical face of a step between treads.
- P Stringer: The support frame of stairs to which the risers and treads attach.
Build Or Resurface?
Deck builds usually go two ways: you have a framework with a little life left in it and only the top boards need a facelift. Or, you’re starting from the grass up and need a completely new deck. Either way, Trex is the perfect solution, with myriad products that outdeck wood at every stage.
- Three high-performance decking lines with lots of color and finish options.
- Three coordinating railing lines with all kinds of style, color and material options.
- Elevations® steel deck framing when you’re ready to build a strong, straight, safe, smart deck from the bottom up.
- Click here for more information on deck resurfacing, including before and after photos, videos and steps for how to resurface your deck.