Libby Smoot, May 15, 2015
Americans observe the holiday in many ways, with ceremonies at monuments, memorials and cemeteries; patriotic concerts; parades; and get-togethers with family and friends. It has long been the unofficial start of the busy summer season and the perfect time to ready your outdoor space for family and friends.
We scoured some of our favorite websites and assembled ideas to help you make the most of your Memorial Day party.
- It’s impossible to display too much red, white and blue. American flags, vintage bunting, tableware and lawn decorations set a worthy stage. Check out orientaltrading.com for all kinds of outdoor party decorations including these Stars & Stripes Pinwheels which will entertain kids and adults alike.
- For the grill master in your group, visit partycheap.com where you’ll find a Red, White and Blue Oversized Chef’s Hat that will surely amp up your party’s fun quotient.
- When it comes to your deck, string lights or mini lanterns along the railing to add an inviting glow well into dark. We love this holiday-themed pom garland you can easily make from tissue paper.
- Let’s face it – the backbone of any great gathering is the food and drinks. Keep your cooler stocked with ice, water, lemonade, sodas and more and you’ll keep your guests happy. Our new Trex Outdoor Storage coolers are a great way to keep those beverages iced down, and when your party-goers have finished their meals, our trash and recycle bins keep the mess under wraps.
- Set a festive table with red, white and blue napkins, plates, cups and utensils. Add to the table setting these mason jars painted to resemble the American flag. Mason jars are all the rage now, and they can hold a variety of items to help organize your buffet.
- Hamburgers and hot dogs are a must at any Memorial Day party, but don’t be afraid to try something different. These Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Kabobs with Orange-Chipotle Sauce from Kraft will add some heat to your gathering.
- For a fun snack, these easy-to-assemble cookie pop sparklers make it seem as if you’ve spent hours in the kitchen. End the evening with this delicious flag cake. The presentation alone will leave your guests impressed.
(Catch all the action from Trex – subscribe to our blog.)